Varicose veins mostly occur in women. Experts recommend approaching this problem in a complex way: using various medications, traditional medicine, and wearing compression underwear. Compression underwear comes in different types, sizes and is also divided into grades.
Indications for use
Compression underwear is prescribed by a phlebologist. The reason for the appointment may be the following factors:
- The appearance of visible vessels on the legs.
- The presence of pain.
- Fast fatigability.
- The presence of edema in the morning.
- Protruding venous nodules.
In addition, underwear is prescribed as a preventive measure when carrying a child and when staying in one position for a long time (long car journeys, sedentary work). As varicose veins are hereditary, experts recommend occasionally wearing underwear for those who are at risk of developing varicose veins.
A few years ago, when there were no clothes specially designed for varicose veins, elastic bandages were used as therapy. Despite the similar principle of operation, elastic bandages have some disadvantages:
- With regular use of this material, elastic bandages quickly stretch and wear out, losing their healing properties.
- They are not aesthetically pleasing. After all, few people want to go out with their legs bandaged.
- The correct technique of applying bandages takes a lot of time.
Today, there are many types of compression underwear. Depending on individual characteristics, everyone can choose the right one for themselves. The therapeutic effect of wearing underwear is reflected in the following:
- Underwear ensures normalization of the venous and vascular system, preventing venous congestion.
- It makes the veins more elastic due to the pressure of the carcass.
- Creates the necessary pressure at the point of contact between the linen and the damaged area of skin.
- Prevents the development of thrombosis.
Contraindications to wearing compression underwear
Almost every drug or item intended for the treatment of a certain disease has some contraindications. Contraindications can be of several types: it is strictly prohibited, not recommended or the use of underwear is recommended only after consultation with your doctor. Let's take a closer look:
- In no case should you use medical meshes for heart failure.
- It is forbidden to wear underwear with regular reduced pressure.
- Do not use for people suffering from atherosclerosis or arthritis.
- It is not recommended to wear underwear for various skin conditions. Absolute contraindications are open wounds on the skin.
- If you have diabetes, you should see your doctor.
What material is linen made of?
The main materials for creating compression underwear use the following types of fabrics:
- Stretch the cotton.
- Nylon fibers.
Of the advantages of sewing underwear, I highlight the absence of seams. Wearing this type of underwear does not bring discomfort and is more aesthetically pleasing. Manufacturers claim that, with proper care of the material, the therapeutic effect lasts for six months.
Main types of linen
Experts recommend wearing medical underwear only if indicated. However, this type of clothing is sold in almost all pharmacies or specialty stores without a prescription. For this reason, even healthy people can buy and wear underwear periodically as a preventive measure. Consider the main types:
- Knee socks. Compression stockings for varicose veins are designed to treat varicose veins not only in women but also in men. Not every man agrees to wear pantyhose or stockings as therapy. For this reason, the manufacturer has released compression socks.
- gaiters. Suitable for men and women. They have the advantage of durability. As meshes are not worn on the foot, they practically do not wear out. Useful for small areas of skin. It fits snugly on the leg and is invisible under your main garment.
- Socks or socks. Compression stockings for varicose veins are intended for the treatment and prevention of varicose veins in women. Manufacturers offer not only the standard look of compression stockings and tights, but also more aesthetic ones, for example with lace. Visually, varicose socks are practically no different from ordinary ones. It is important to choose socks or socks strictly according to size. If the therapeutic shirt is too large or too small, in this case, the therapeutic effect is significantly reduced. Based on the reviews of most women, we can conclude that this type of underwear is very comfortable. When asked how to properly wear compression stockings, women respond that the only difficulty comes when trying to put on the stockings. Since knits fit perfectly to the body due to compression, this is not easy to do, especially if the woman woke up with swelling in her lower extremities.
Despite some disadvantages, an elastic bandage is one of the types of compression underwear. This remedy for the treatment of varicose veins is less effective, but it is suitable for people with financial difficulties. To get the most benefit from using an elastic bandage, you need to properly secure it to your leg. Let's take a closer look:
- The bandage starts to be fixed from the ankles, gradually moving higher and higher.
- To prevent the bandage from slipping off the foot, it is necessary to "fix" it by wrapping the ankle and heel several times.
- It is necessary to apply the same effort when applying a bandage. This is necessary so that wrinkles do not form. In this case, the elastic bandage will become useless.
- The dressing is implanted as needed.
- As the bandage is applied to the leg, be careful not to form "gaps". It is necessary to apply slightly overlapping dressing layers.
- The dressing should end in a healthy spot with no signs of damage to blood vessels or veins.
If after putting the bandage on your leg you feel pain, discomfort or numbness in your toes, remove the bandage immediately, let your legs rest and try again later.
Compression underwear for varicose veins is divided into classes that have different millimeters of mercury. Let's take a closer look:
- First grade. Underwear belonging to this class is recommended for use in the early stages of the development of varicose veins. As a preventive measure, as well as during pregnancy and various degrees of obesity, the first recommended class is recommended, which ranges from 18 to 21 mm. art. Art.
- Second class. Recommended for the diagnosis of "varicose veins of the lower extremities". The second class includes underwear with compression from 22 to 33 mm. art. Art.
- Third class. Recommended for use in serious conditions such as venous insufficiency and the presence of blood clots. Compression ranges from 34 to 46 mm. art. Art.
- Fourth grade. Used very rarely. As a rule, they are prescribed in preoperative conditions. Compression ranges from 47 to 60 mm. art. Art.
To determine the right compression for you, as well as to avoid possible consequences, it is recommended that you contact your doctor for advice.
It should be noted that therapeutic stockings for varicose veins only maintain compression for six months. For this reason, in case of serious illness, it is recommended to change underwear every 6 months.
How to choose the right underwear
Orthopedic specialty stores offer a wide selection of compression underwear. Everyone who is faced with vein pathology asks the question: What is the best compression underwear for varicose veins? There is no specific answer to this question, as the choice of therapeutic mesh depends on individual characteristics and the severity of the disease.
For women, knee socks, stockings and socks are provided. To determine the model, first of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the degree of localization of the pathology. If a woman is concerned about the disease of the veins on or above the thighs, tights should be preferred. Whether we're talking pathologists below or just above the knee, you can make do with golf or socks.
How to choose stockings and tights for varicose veins depending on compression? As mentioned above, the degree of compression required can only be determined by the attending physician. Experts also warn about possible fakes. Therefore, before choosing underwear, ask the seller for a certificate for this type of underwear. To avoid possible misunderstandings, it is recommended to buy anti-varicose therapeutic meshes only in pharmacies or specialized stores. In case of difficulties in choosing, a store consultant will help you choose compression stockings for varicose veins.
how to care for linen
To maximize the lifespan of therapeutic meshes, it is recommended to properly care for the garment. Let's take a closer look:
- If you are wearing socks or tights as prescribed by your doctor, it is recommended that you purchase two pairs of treated knits. This is due to the fact that it is periodically necessary to subject the clothes to washing.
- It is recommended to wash clothes by hand only and not to use various chemical cleaning products. The best option is washing powder. Wash water should be slightly above room temperature.
- Anti-varicose veins socks should never be ironed.
- It is not recommended to completely twist the garment. After washing, just soak lightly with a terry towel and send to the dryer. You can't influence the quick drying of clothes either (use of hair dryers or heaters).
- When it comes to silicone strip socks, try not to get the silicone insert wet. This can result in loss of properties. The strip is cleaned with a damp cloth.
To keep varicose socks and stockings in their original shape, it is recommended to store them only in a horizontal position in a dry place. The course of treatment with the help of therapeutic meshes is determined by the attending physician, depending on the severity of the disease.